[openstack-dev] usability anti-pattern, part 2

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sat Sep 20 02:01:50 UTC 2014

        except exc.Unauthorized:
            raise exc.CommandError("Invalid OpenStack credentials.")
        except exc.AuthorizationFailure:
            raise exc.CommandError("Unable to authorize user")

This is pervasive enough that both of those exceptions come from
openstack.common.

Anyone?

Please. Explain the difference. In words.

Here's what I'm hoping. I'm hoping that AuthorizationFailure is just an
old deprecated thing. I'm hoping the difference is NOT that one is "I
know you but you're not allowed" and the other is "I don't know you" -
because that's actually insecure.

I'm guessing that what it actually is is that randomly some things
return one, some things return the other, and there is absolutely no
rhyme nor reason. Or, more likely, that termie liked the spelling of one
of them better.