[openstack-dev] Thoughts on OpenStack Layers and a Big Tent model

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Fri Sep 19 17:51:14 UTC 2014

On 09/19/2014 01:15 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2014, at 3:33 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
>>> Great writeup. I think there are some great concrete
>>> suggestions here.
>>>
>>> A couple more:
>>>
>>> 1. I think we need a better name for Layer #1 that actually
>>> represents what the goal of it is: Infrastructure Services? 2.
>>> We need to be be open to having other Layer #1s within the
>>> community. We should allow for similar collaborations and group
>>> focus to grow up as well. Storage Services? Platform Services?
>>> Computation Services?
>>
>> I think that would nullify most of the benefits of Monty's
>> proposal. If we keep on blessing "themes" or special groups,
>> we'll soon be back at step 0, with projects banging on the TC
>> door to become special, and companies not allocating resources to
>> anything that's not special.
>
> I was assuming that these would be self-organized rather than
> managed by the TC.
>
> Vish

Some groups are able to self-organize better than others, I have been
hoping the third party theme would self-organize for the last 10
months and while some folks are trying, their numbers don't keep up
with the demand. This group insists that someone else tell them what
to do. It is not a scalable model, it also doesn't inspire anyone
outside of the theme to want to help out with the answering of
questions either.

Just as a data point.

Thanks,
Anita.