[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Zaqar and SQS Properties of Distributed Queues

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 17:19:46 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 7:45 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/18/2014 04:09 PM, Gordon Sim wrote:

> >> Zaqar guarantees FIFO. To be more precise, it does that relying on the
> >> storage backend ability to do so as well. Depending on the storage used,
> >> guaranteeing FIFO may have some performance penalties.
> >
> > Would it be accurate to say that at present Zaqar does not use
> > distributed queues, but holds all queue data in a storage mechanism of
> > some form which may internally distribute that data among servers but
> > provides Zaqar with a consistent data model of some form?
>
> I think this is accurate. The queue's distribution depends on the
> storage ability to do so and deployers will be able to choose what
> storage works best for them based on this as well. I'm not sure how
> useful this separation is from a user perspective but I do see the
> relevance when it comes to implementation details and deployments.
>

> > [...]
> >> As of now, Zaqar fully relies on the storage replication/clustering
> >> capabilities to provide data consistency, availability and fault
> >> tolerance.
> >
> > Is the replication synchronous or asynchronous with respect to client
> > calls? E.g. will the response to a post of messages be returned only
> > once the replication of those messages is confirmed? Likewise when
> > deleting a message, is the response only returned when replicas of the
> > message are deleted?
>
> It depends on the driver implementation and/or storage configuration.
> For example, in the mongodb driver, we use the default write concern
> called "acknowledged". This means that as soon as the message gets to
> the master node (note it's not written on disk yet nor replicated) zaqar
> will receive a confirmation and then send the response back to the
> client. This is also configurable by the deployer by changing the
> default write concern in the mongodb uri using `?w=SOME_WRITE_CONCERN`[0].

This means that by default Zaqar cannot guarantee a message will be
delivered at all. A message can be acknowledged and then the 'master node'
crashes and the message is lost. Zaqar's ability to guarantee delivery is
limited by the reliability of a single node, while something like swift can
only loose a piece of data if 3 machines crash at the same time.