[openstack-dev] Please do *NOT* use "vendorized" versions of anything (here: glanceclient using requests.packages.urllib3)

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Sep 18 14:35:10 UTC 2014

On 9/18/14, 9:18 AM, "Clint Byrum" <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

>Excerpts from Donald Stufft's message of 2014-09-18 04:58:06 -0700:

>> > Well, distributions is where the final user is, and where software
>>gets
>> > consumed. Our priority should be the end users.
>>

>> Distributions are not the only place that people get their software
>>from,
>> unless you think that the ~3 million downloads requests has received
>> on PyPI in the last 30 days are distributions downloading requests to
>> package in their OSs.
>>

>Do pypi users not also need to be able to detect and fix any versions
>of libraries they might have? If one has some virtualenvs with various
>libraries and apps installed and no --system-site-packages, one would
>probably still want to run 'pip freeze' in all of them and find out what
>libraries are there and need to be fixed.
>
>Anyway, generally security updates require a comprehensive strategy.
>One common comprehensive strategy is version assertion.
>
>Vendoring complicates that immensely.

Except that even OpenStack doesn’t pin requests because of how
extraordinarily stable our API is. While you can argue that Kenneth has
non-standard opinions about his library, Cory and I take backwards
compatibility and stability very seriously. This means anyone can upgrade
to a newer version of requests without worrying that it will be backwards
incompatible.