[openstack-dev] [Neutron][Architecture]Suggestions for the third vendors' plugin and driver

Germy Lure germy.lure at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 08:49:39 UTC 2014

Hi Trinath,

I think the vendor company has many experts to review their codes. They can
do it well.

But I still have some comments inline.

Germy

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 1:42 PM, trinath.somanchi at freescale.com <
trinath.somanchi at freescale.com> wrote:

>  Though Code reviews for vendor code takes more time, I feel it must go
> through Core reviews.
>

> Since, Vendors might submit the code that is working fine within their
> third party CI environment but the Code review make it more efficient with
> respect to the coding standards followed in the community.
>

> Also, for all the vendor plugins/drivers the code reviews (+1s and +2s)
> give a feedback on the quality they must be in to be with Neutron.

I think the quality of a software mainly lies on developers, otherwise
reviewers will be very very busy.
We suppose that all core members reviewed your plugin and gave feedback
many +, so can you guarantee the plugin high quality? even no BUGs?
I think only the vendor, cooperating with customer and providing plugin and
driver, can and must guarantee the quality. But those *private* releases
only exist in vendor's disk and running in customer's machine. It cannot be
updated to community because of approving waiting, because of not efficient
enough, because of the coding standards, ....

> But one suggestion I want to put forward, when an -1 or -2 is given to the
> code, Reviewers might give a brief comment on why this was given, what
> might be preferred solution and Is there any reference implementation that
> can be considered for the code in review to move away from these errors.
> This can help the developers.

If core members prefer Cisco's implementation, all the other vendors follow
it? Why different plugins? Only one is enough.
Of course, this is a very extreme assumption. We just discuss a problem.