[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Set WIP for stale patches?

marios@redhat.com mandreou at redhat.com
Thu Sep 18 07:26:20 UTC 2014

On 18/09/14 00:29, James Polley wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 6:26 PM, marios at redhat.com
> <mailto:marios at redhat.com> <mandreou at redhat.com
> <mailto:mandreou at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     as part of general housekeeping on our reviews, it was discussed at last
>     week's meeting [1] that we should set workflow -1 for stale reviews
>     (like gerrit used to do when I were a lad).
>
>     The specific criteria discussed was 'items that have a -1 from a core
>     but no response from author for 14 days'. This topic came up again
>     during today's meeting and it wasn't clear if the intention was for
>     cores to start enforcing this? So:
>
>     Do we start setting WIP/workflow -1 for those reviews that have a -1
>     from a core but no response from author for 14 days
>

> I'm in favour of doing this; as long as we make it clear that we're
> doing it to help us focus review effort on things that are under active
> development - it doesn't mean we think the patch shouldn't land, it just
> means we know it's not ready yet so we don't want reviewers to be
> looking at it until it moves forward.
>
> For the sake of making sure new developers don't get put off, I'd like
> to see us leaving a comment explaining why we're WIPing the change and
> noting that uploading a new revision will remove the WIP automatically

+1 - indeed, I'd say as part of this discussion, or if/when it comes up
as a motion for a vote in the weekly meeting, we should also put out and
agree on the 'standard' text to be used for this and stick it on the
wiki (regardless of whether this is to be implemented manually at first
and perhaps automated later),

thanks, marios

"setting workflow -1 as this review has been inactive for two weeks
following a negative review. Please see the wiki @ foo for more
information. Note that once you upload a new revision the workflow is
expected to be reset (feel free to shout on freenode/#tripleo if it isn't)."