[openstack-dev] PostgreSQL jobs slow in the gate

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Sep 18 01:37:12 UTC 2014

On 9/17/2014 7:59 PM, Ian Wienand wrote:
> On 09/18/2014 09:49 AM, Clark Boylan wrote:
>> Recent sampling of test run times shows that our tempest jobs run
>> against clouds using PostgreSQL are significantly slower than jobs run
>> against clouds using MySQL.
>
> FYI There is a possibly relevant review out for max_connections limits
> [1], although it seems to have some issues with shmem usage
>
> -i

That's a backport of a fix from master where we were hitting fatal
errors due to too many DB connections which was brought on by the
changes to cinder and glance to run as many workers as there were CPUs
available.  So I don't think it probably plays here...

The errors pointed out in another part of the thread have been around
for awhile, I think they are due to negative tests where we're hitting
unique constraints because of the negative tests, so they are expected.

We should also note that the postgresql jobs run with the nova metadata
API service, I'm not sure how much of a factor that would have here.

Is there anything else unique about those jobs from the MySQL ones?

Matt Riedemann