[openstack-dev] [nova] are we going to remove the novaclient v3 shell or what?

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 01:02:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 17:42:30 +0000
"Day, Phil" <philip.day at hp.com> wrote:

> I think in the hopefully not too distant future we'll be able to make
> the v1_1 client handle both V2 and V2.1 (who knows. Maybe we can even
> rename it v2) - and that's what we should do because it will prove if
> we have full compatibility or not.

We should definitely do that cleanup in kilo. Though with microversions
hard coding a version number into the directory structure might not
make sense.

> Right now the two things holding that back are the V3 -> V2.1 API
> migration hasn't yet got to the point where the URLs include the
> tenant ID, and the URL still includes the "v3" tag - so the v3 client
> it the only easy way to exercise the v2.1 API in devstack.   For
> example I needed to do this to test the server group quota changes
> worked in devstack via V2.1 (I don't trust just getting the unit
> tests to pass).    To do that I had to get boot working and accepting
> hints, and add support for the limits API.   So in the short term it
> seemed worth pushing those kinds of things back in for now in case
> they are useful to others.   Its not a big overhead to fix the v3 API
> at the same time (its mostly copied or sub-classed code) until we can
> add v2.1 support via the v2 client.

So the only reason I can think for keeping the v2.1/v3 version of
novaclient is if we want to break the python novaclient backwards
compatibility to do some cleanups. AFAIK we don't have a policy around
python novaclient backwards compatibility and if its ever ok to break
it.

Chris