[openstack-dev] [heat][nova] VM restarting on host failure in convergence

Jastrzebski, Michal michal.jastrzebski at intel.com
Wed Sep 17 13:03:06 UTC 2014

All,

Currently OpenStack does not have a built-in HA mechanism for tenant
instances which could restore virtual machines in case of a host
failure. Openstack assumes every app is designed for failure and can
handle instance failure and will self-remediate, but that is rarely
the case for the very large Enterprise application ecosystem.
Many existing enterprise applications are stateful, and assume that
the physical infrastructure is always on.

Even the OpenStack controller services themselves do not gracefully
handle failure.

When these applications were virtualized, they were virtualized on
platforms that enabled very high SLAs for each virtual machine,
allowing the application to not be rewritten as the IT team moved them
from physical to virtual. Now while these apps cannot benefit from
methods like automatic scaleout, the application owners will greatly
benefit from the self-service capabilities they will recieve as they
utilize the OpenStack control plane.

I'd like to suggest to expand heat convergence mechanism to enable
self-remediation of virtual machines and other heat resources.

convergence specs: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/95907/

Basic flow would look like this:

1. Nova detects host failure and posts notification
    Nova service_group API implements host health monitor. We will
    use it as notification source when host goes down. Afaik there are
    some issues with that, and we might need to fix them. We need
    host-health notification source with low latency and good
    reliability (when we get host-down notification, we will be 100%
    sure that its actually down).
2. Nova sends notifs about affected resources
    Nova generates list of affected resources (VMs for example) and
    notifies that they are down.
3. Convergence listens on resource-health notification
    It schedules rebuild of affected resources, for example VMs on
    given host.
4. We introduce different, configurable methods for resource rescue
    Client might want to cover different resources with different
    level of SLA. For example http edge server may be fault tolerant
    and all we want is to simply recreate it on different node and add
    to LBaaS pool to regain quorum, while DB server has to be
    evacuated.
5. We call nova evacuate if server is configured to use it
    By evacuate I mean nova evacuate --on-shared-storage, so
    in fact we'll boot up same vm (from existing disk), keep addesses,
    data and so on. This will allow pet-servers to minimize downtime
    caused by host failure.
    We might stumble upon fencing problem in this case. Nova already
    has some form of safeguard implemented (it deletes evacuated
    instances when host comes back up). We might want to add more
    reliable form of fencing (storage locking?) to nova in the future.
6. Heat makes sure that all the configuration needed are applied
    Volumes attached, processes run and so on.

In short, what we'll need from nova is to have 100% reliable
host-health monitor and equally reliable rebuild/evacuate mechanism
with fencing and scheduler. In heat we need scallable and reliable
event listener and engine to decide which action to perform in given
situation.

Regards,
Michał "inc0" Jastrzębski