[openstack-dev] [tripleo][heat][ironic] Heat Ironic resources and "ready state" orchestration

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 18:44:01 UTC 2014

On 16/09/14 13:56, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:
>> For example, today, I've been looking at the steps required for driving
>> autodiscovery:
>>
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Ironic-PoCDiscovery-Juno
>>
>> Driving this process looks a lot like application orchestration:
>>
>> 1. Take some input (IPMI credentials and MAC addresses)
>> 2. Maybe build an image and ramdisk(could drop credentials in)
>> 3. Interact with the Ironic API to register nodes in maintenance mode
>> 4. Boot the nodes, monitor state, wait for a signal back containing some
>>     data obtained during discovery (same as WaitConditions or
>>     SoftwareDeployment resources in Heat..)
>> 5. Shutdown the nodes and mark them ready for use by nova
>>

> My apologies if the following sounds snarky -- but I think there are a
> few misconceptions that need to be cleared up about how and when one
> might use Ironic. I also disagree that 1..5 looks like application
> orchestration. Step 4 is a workflow, which I'll go into in a bit, but
> this doesn't look at all like describing or launching an application
> to me.

+1 (Although step 3 does sound to me like something that matches Heat's
scope.)

> Step 1 is just parse a text file.
>
> Step 2 should be a prerequisite to doing -anything- with Ironic. Those
> images need to be built and loaded in Glance, and the image UUID(s)
> need to be set on each Node in Ironic (or on the Nova flavor, if going
> that route) after enrollment. Sure, Heat can express this
> declaratively (ironic.node.driver_info must contain key:deploy_kernel
> with value:NNNN), but are you suggesting that Heat build the images,
> or just take the UUIDs as input?
>
> Step 3 is, again, just parse a text file
>
> I'm going to make an assumption here [*], because I think step 4 is
> misleading. You shouldn't "boot a node" using Ironic -- you do that
> through Nova. And you _dont_ get to specify which node you're booting.
> You ask Nova to provision an _instance_ on a _flavor_ and it picks an
> available node from the pool of nodes that match the request.

I think your assumption is incorrect. Steve is well aware that
provisioning a bare-metal Ironic server is done through the Nova API.
What he's suggesting here is that the nodes would be booted - not
Nova-booted, but booted in the sense of having power physically applied
- while in maintenance mode in order to do autodiscovery of their
capabilities, which is presumably hard to do automatically when they're
turned off. He's also suggesting that Heat could drive this process,
which I happen to disagree with because it is a workflow not an end
state. However the main takeaway here is that you guys are talking
completely past one another, and have been for some time.

cheers,
Zane.