[openstack-dev] [tripleo][heat][ironic] Heat Ironic resources and "ready state" orchestration

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 17:55:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Steven Hardy's message of 2014-09-15 04:44:24 -0700:
>>

> First, Ironic is hidden under Nova as far as TripleO is concerned. So
> mucking with the servers underneath Nova during deployment is a difficult
> proposition. Would I look up the Ironic node ID of the nova server,
> and then optimize it for the workload after the workload arrived? Why
> wouldn't I just do that optimization before the deployment?

Except, using Ironic to configure a node's hardware probably requires
rebooting that node -- and thus interrupting the workload that was
just deployed onto it, and possibly (if you're rebuilding a RAID)
destroying that instance. Clearly this doesn't make sense.

>> What is required is some tool to take a text definition of the required
>> configuration, turn it into a correctly sequenced series of API calls to
>> Ironic, expose any data associated with those API calls, and declare
>> success or failure on completion.  This is what Heat does.
>>

> I'd rather see Ironic define or adopt a narrow scope document format
> that it can consume for bulk loading. Heat is extremely generic, and thus
> carries a ton of complexity for what is probably doable with a CSV file.

Yup. See my previous comments. Heat is not a generic "manipulate this
text file" hammer. That's Perl.

-Devananda