[openstack-dev] [nova] Support starting index when auto naming multiple instances

Yingjun Li liyingjun1988 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 07:10:47 UTC 2014

Currently when booting multiple instances, the instance display-names will be something like 'test-1,test-2' if we set
multi_instance_display_name_template = %(name)s-%(count)s. Here is the problem, if we need more instances
and want the instance names start with 'test-3', there is no such way to do so now.

So a new template is introduced to solve the issue: '%(name)s-%(index)s’ If we enter instance name like `test-12`
when booting multiple instances, the display name of the remaining instances will be auto plus with 1 and begin with `12`.

And here is the patch related to this: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/111138/, i’m proposing this
for discussion as Andrew suggested, any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!