[openstack-dev] [Nova] What's holding nova development back?

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Mon Sep 15 21:52:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com>
> wrote:

> latency. Our
> reliable.
> code is
> >>
> >> I consider both problems to be pretty much equally as important. I don't
> >> think solving review latency or test reliabilty in isolation is enough
> >> save Nova. We need to tackle both problems as a priority. I tried to
> avoid
> >> getting into my concerns about testing in my mail on review team
> bottlenecks
> >> since I think we should address the problems independantly / in
> parallel.
> >
> > Agreed with this.  I don't think we can afford to ignore either one of
> them.
>
> Yes, that was my point. I don't mind us debating how to rearrange
> hypervisor drivers. However, if we think that will solve all our
> problems we are confused.
>
> So, how do we get people to start taking bugs / gate failures more
> seriously?
>
> Michael

What do you think about having an irc channel for working through gate
bugs? I've always found looking at gate failures frustrating because I seem
to be expected to work through these by myself, and maybe somebody's
already looking at it or has more information that I don't know about.
There have been times already where a gate bug that could have left
everything broken for a while wound up fixed pretty quickly because we were
able to find the right person hanging out in irc. Sometimes all it takes is
for someone with the right knowledge to be there. A hypothetical exchange:

rechecker: I got this error where the tempest-foo test failed ... http://...
tempest-expert: That test calls the compute-bar nova API
nova-expert: That API calls the network-baz neutron API
neutron-expert: When you call that API you need to also call this other API
to poll for it to be done... is nova doing that?
nova-expert: Nope. Fix on the way.

- Brant