[openstack-dev] [all] Design Summit planning

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 20:36:59 UTC 2014

On Sep 12, 2014 10:05 AM, "Russell Bryant" <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/12/2014 07:37 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > If you think this is wrong and think the "design summit suggestion"
> > website is a better way to do it, let me know why! If some programs
> > really can't stand the 'etherpad/IRC' approach I'll see how we can spin
> > up a limited instance.
>
> I think this is fine, especially if it's a better reflection of reality
> and lets the teams work more efficiently.

+1 this is the direction that Keystone's summit session planning was
naturally headed. The session submission website was headed in a direction
where it felt like more of a formality that didn't quite serve its intended
purpose (aggregating and organizing discussion ideas), and didn't
particularly benefit the community as a result, than it felt like a useful
tool.

The scheduling piece of it (which mapped topics to timeslots and pushed to
sched.org), which I presume most non-PTLs ever saw, generally worked great.

> However, one of the benefits of the old submission system was the
> clarity of the process and openness to submissions from anyone.  We
> don't want to be in a situation where non-core folks feel like they have
> a harder time submitting a session.

I really hope that a less structured process will make it easier for
everyone to contribute and advocate for discussion ideas in a collaborative
manner. The design summit isn't about "my session topic" vs "your session
topic," it's about collaborating with our peers, regardless of whether that
peer group is 2 people or 100. A discussion shouldn't be "rejected" because
the group of interested parties is too small, it should simply find its
place.