[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Zaqar graduation (round 2) [was: Comments on the concerns arose during the TC meeting]

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Fri Sep 12 13:44:10 UTC 2014

On 09/11/2014 07:46 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 09/10/2014 03:18 PM, Gordon Sim wrote:
>> On 09/10/2014 09:58 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
>>>      Other OpenStack components can integrate with Zaqar to surface events
>>> to end users and to communicate with guest agents that run in the
>>> "over-cloud" layer.
>>
>> I may be misunderstanding the last sentence, but I think *direct*
>> integration of other OpenStack services with Zaqar would be a bad idea.
>>
>> Wouldn't this be better done through olso.messaging's notifications in
>> some way? and/or through some standard protocol (and there's more than
>> one to choose from)?
>>
>> Communicating through a specific, fixed messaging system, with its own
>> unique protocol is actually a step backwards in my opinion, especially
>> for things that you want to keep as loosely coupled as possible. This is
>> exactly why various standard protocols emerged.
>>

> Yes and no. The answer is yes most of the time but there are use cases,
> like the ones mentioned here[0], that make zaqar a good tool for the job.

I certainly wasn't saying that Zaqar is not a good tool. I was merely
stating that - in my opinion - wiring it in as the only tool would be a
mistake.

> [0] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/zaqar-integrated-projects-use-cases

Again, Zaqar might be great for those cases, but none of them describe
features that are unique to Zaqar, so other solutions could also fit.

All I'm saying is that if the channel between openstack services and
users is configurable, that will give users more choice (as well as
operators) and that - in my opinion - would be a good thing.