[openstack-dev] [nova] Server Groups - remove VM from group?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Sep 11 22:31:04 UTC 2014

On 09/11/2014 04:22 PM, Joe Cropper wrote:
> I would be a little wary about the DB level locking for stuff like that
> — it’s certainly doable, but also comes at the expense of things
> behaving ever-so-slightly different from DBMS to DBMS.  Perhaps there
> are multiple “logical efforts” here—i.e., adding some APIs and cleaning
> up existing code.

I think you could actually do it without locking.  Pick a host as we do
now, write it into the database, then check whether you hit a race and
if so then clear that host from the database and go back to the beginning.

Basically the same algorithm that we do now, but all contained within
the scheduler code.

Chris