[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][cinder] Averting the Nova crisis by splitting out virt drivers

Gary Kotton gkotton at vmware.com
Thu Sep 11 15:14:35 UTC 2014

On 9/11/14, 4:30 PM, "Sean Dague" <sean at dague.net> wrote:

>On 09/11/2014 09:09 AM, Gary Kotton wrote:

>>> Yes, that sounds like the logical next step. We can't split drivers
>>> without first doing that anyway. I still think "people need smaller
>>> areas of work", as Vish eloquently put it. I still hope that
>>>refactoring
>>> our test architecture will let us reach the same level of quality with
>>> only a fraction of the tests being run at the gate, which should
>>>address
>>> most of the harm you see in adding additional repositories. But I agree
>>> there is little point in discussing splitting virt drivers (or anything
>>> else, really) until the internal interface below that potential split
>>>is
>>> fully cleaned up and it becomes an option.
>>
>> How about we start to try and patch gerrit to provide +2 permissions for
>> people
>> Who can be assigned Œdriver core¹ status. This is something that is
>> relevant to Nova and Neutron and I guess Cinder too.
>
>If you think that's the right solution, I'd say go and investigate it
>with folks that understand enough gerrit internals to be able to figure
>out how hard it would be. Start a conversation in #openstack-infra to
>explore it.
>
>My expectation is that there is more complexity there than you give it
>credit for. That being said one of the biggest limitations we've had on
>gerrit changes is we've effectively only got one community member, Kai,
>who does any of that. If other people, or teams, were willing to dig in
>and own things like this, that might be really helpful.

What about what Radoslav suggested? Having a background task running -
that can set a flag indicating that the code has been approved by the
driver ‘maintainers’. This can be something that driver CI should run -
that is, driver code can only be approved if it has X +1’s from the driver
maintainers and a +1 from the driver CI.