[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][cinder] Averting the Nova crisis by splitting out virt drivers

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Sep 11 11:55:22 UTC 2014

Sean Dague wrote:
> [...]
> Why don't we start with "let's clean up the virt interface and make it
> more sane", as I don't think there is any disagreement there. If it's
> going to take a cycle, it's going to take a cycle anyway (it will
> probably take 2 cycles, realistically, we always underestimate these
> things, remember when no-db-compute was going to be 1 cycle?). I don't
> see the need to actually decide here and now that the split is clearly
> at least 7 - 12 months away. A lot happens in the intervening time.

Yes, that sounds like the logical next step. We can't split drivers
without first doing that anyway. I still think "people need smaller
areas of work", as Vish eloquently put it. I still hope that refactoring
our test architecture will let us reach the same level of quality with
only a fraction of the tests being run at the gate, which should address
most of the harm you see in adding additional repositories. But I agree
there is little point in discussing splitting virt drivers (or anything
else, really) until the internal interface below that potential split is
fully cleaned up and it becomes an option.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)