[openstack-dev] [Heat] referencing the index of a ResourceGroup

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Sep 11 08:21:18 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 04:44:01PM -0500, Jason Greathouse wrote:
>    I'm trying to find a way to create a set of servers and attach a new
>    volume to each server.
>    I first tried to use block_device_mapping but that requires an existing
>    snapshot or volume and the deployment would fail when Rackspace
>    intermittently timed out trying to create the new volume from a
>    snapshot.
>    I'm now trying with 3 ResourceGroups: OS::Cinder::Volume to build volumes
>    followed by OS::Nova::Server and then trying to attach the volumes
>    with  OS::Cinder::VolumeAttachment.

Basically creating lots of resource groups for related things is the wrong
pattern.  You need to create one nested stack template containing the
related things (Server, Volume and VolumeAttachment in this case), and use
ResourceGroup to multiply them as a unit.

I answered a similar question here on the openstack general ML recently
(which for future reference may be a better ML for usage questions like
this, as it's not really development discussion):

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack/2014-September/009216.html

Here's another example which I used in a summit demo, which I think
basically does what you need?

https://github.com/hardys/demo_templates/tree/master/juno_summit_intro_to_heat/example3_server_with_volume_group

Steve.