[openstack-dev] [nova] Server Groups - remove VM from group?

Joe Cropper cropper.joe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 21:00:13 UTC 2014

I agree, Chris.  I think a number of folks put in a lot of really great work into the existing server groups and there has been a lot of interest on their usage, especially given that the scheduler already has some constructs in place to piggyback on them.

I would like to craft up a blueprint proposal for Kilo to add two simple extensions to the existing server group APIs that I believe will make them infinitely more usable in any ‘real world’ scenario.  I’ll put more details in the proposal, but in a nutshell:

1. Adding a VM to a server group
Only allow it to succeed if its policy wouldn’t be violated by the addition of the VM

2. Removing a VM from a server group
Just allow it

I think this would round out the support that’s there and really allow us to capitalize on the hard work everyone’s already put into them.

- Joe