[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][cinder] Averting the Nova crisis by splitting out virt drivers

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Sep 10 17:34:39 UTC 2014

On 09/10/2014 02:27 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
> Well, both proposals can be done : we can create subteams and the
> Subteam-Approval Gerrit label right know before Kilo, and we could split
> the virt repos by later once the interfaces and prereqs are done.

That's what I mean in fact: create sub team is fairly easy to do, we can
start very soon. Splitting the repos will require the cleanup in
internal interfaces, documentation and the other things that (while
important and needed anyway) will require probably one cycle, if not more.

On 09/10/2014 09:07 AM, Kyle Mestery wrote:
> I would be cautious around sub-teams. Our experience in Neutron has
> been that we do a very good job of setting up sub-teams, but a
> terrible job at deciding when they should be spun-down and folded back
> in. Because in a lot of cases, a sub-team's existance should be for a
> short period of time. The other problem is that sub-teams can tend to
> wander away from the broader team, making it harder for their work to
> be integrated back into the whole. All of this is to say that
> sub-teams require coordination and lots of communication, and should
> be carefully watched, groomed, and culled when necessary.

This is great feedback. Maybe picking the leaders of the sub-teams based
on their communication skills and their understanding of the bigger
picture would help? How would you do things differently, based on your
experience?

/stef