[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Comments on the concerns arose during the TC meeting

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 14:14:43 UTC 2014

On 09/10/2014 12:47 AM, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> As was pointed out in the TC meeting today, Zaqar is (was?) actually
> aiming to provide Messaging-as-a-Service -- not queueing as a service!
> This is another way of saying "it's more like email and less like
> AMQP"

The glossary[1] describes a model that is much more like
messaging-oriented-middleware (AMQP and other things like it) than email.

To me, messaging-as-a-service is perhaps a more general purpose term.
The concept of a 'queue' might not be exposed in such a system (e.g.
MQTT), whereas the term queueing-as-a-service implies that perhaps it
is. I don't see them as necessarily distinct things though. The model
exposed by Zaqar certainly has 'queues' featured prominently.

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/marconi/glossary.html