[openstack-dev] [Designate][Horizon][Tempest][DevStack] Supporting code for incubated projects

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Tue Sep 9 21:51:49 UTC 2014

I would also like to add that incubated != integrated. There's no telling how long a project may stay in incubation or how many changes it may undergo before it's deemed ready (see David's reasoning around client changes during RC's).

While the Horizon team has always made every effort to work closely with the incubated projects in getting them ready for merge as soon as they're officially integrated, doing so prior to that promise of stability, distro support, etc. isn't just infeasible, it's dangerous to the Horizon project.

Perhaps instead we should focus on making a better flow for installing "experimental" modules in a more official capacity. I always go back to how we can help build a better ecosystem. This problem applies to projects which are not and may never be incubated just as much as to incubated ones.

Sure, anyone with some know-how *can* load in another dashboard or panel into Horizon through their settings, but maybe it's time we looked at how to do this in a more user-friendly way.

    - Gabriel