[openstack-dev] [neutron] [nova] non-deterministic gate failures due to unclosed eventlet Timeouts

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Tue Sep 9 17:50:59 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-09-08 at 17:25 -0400, Jay Pipes wrote:
> > Thanks, that might be what's causing this timeout/gate failure in the
> > nova unit tests. [1]
> >
> > [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1357578
>
> Indeed, there are a couple places where eventlet.timeout.Timeout() seems
> to be used in the test suite without a context manager or calling
> close() explicitly:
>
> tests/virt/libvirt/test_driver.py
> 8925:                raise eventlet.timeout.Timeout()
>
> tests/virt/hyperv/test_vmops.py
> 196:        mock_with_timeout.side_effect = etimeout.Timeout()

I looked into that too, but the docs for Timeout indicate that it's an
Exception subclass, and passing it no args doesn't seem to start the
timer running.  I think you have to explicitly pass a duration value for
Timeout to enable its timeout behavior, but that's just a guess on my
part at this point…
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>
Rackspace