[openstack-dev] Kilo Cycle Goals Exercise

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Sep 9 08:01:06 UTC 2014

I haven't had a chance to read other people's posts, so I am sure
there is duplication here.

What would I have all of OpenStack working on if I was ruler of the
universe? Let's see...

1. Fixing our flakey gate: we're all annoyed by our code failing tests
with transient errors, but most people just recheck. Here's the kicker
though -- those errors sometimes affect production deployments as
well. I don't have a magical solution to incent people to work on
fixing these bugs, but we need to fix these. Now.

2. Pay down our tech debt in general. The most obvious example of this
is bugs. Nova has nearly 1,000 of these, and not enough people working
on them compared with features. This is a horrible user experience for
our users, and we should all be embarrassed by it.

3. Find a way to scale nova and neutron development. Our biggest
projects are suffering, and we need to come up with a consistent way
to solve that problem.

Michael

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As you all know, there has recently been several very active discussions
> around how to improve assorted aspects of our development process. One idea
> that was brought up is to come up with a list of cycle goals/project
> priorities for Kilo [0].
>
> To that end, I would like to propose an exercise as discussed in the TC
> meeting yesterday [1]:
> Have anyone interested (especially TC members) come up with a list of what
> they think the project wide Kilo cycle goals should be and post them on this
> thread by end of day Wednesday, September 10th. After which time we can
> begin discussing the results.
> The goal of this exercise is to help us see if our individual world views
> align with the greater community, and to get the ball rolling on a larger
> discussion of where as a project we should be focusing more time.
>

> best,
> Joe Gordon
>
> [0]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-August/041929.html