[openstack-dev] Kilo Cycle Goals Exercise

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at iweb.com
Mon Sep 8 21:51:00 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-08 5:07 PM, James E. Blair wrote:

 > 3) A real SDK
 >
 > OpenStack is so nearly impossible to use, that we have a substantial
 > amount of code in the infrastructure program to do things that,
 > frankly, we are a bit surprised that the client libraries don't do.
 > Just getting an instance with an IP address is an enormous challenge,
 > and something that took us years to get right.  We still have problems
 > deleting instances.  We need client libraries (an SDK if you will) and
 > command line clients that are easy for users to understand and work
 > with, and hide the gory details of how the sausage is made.

I 100% agree with both of you. The user experience is a MAJOR concern
for us. I'm not a good writer able to articulate my thoughts as good as
I would like but both Monty and James managed to communicate and
summarize them.

As a technical person, I often don't see the level of complexity in
tools I use, I like challenges. I will gladly learn new complex stuff if
needed. But when I first tried to use OpenStack client libraries, it was
one of those times where I told myself: wow, it sucks. Especially around
lack of consistency. Or as Monty said, the number of hoops you have to
go through just to get a pingable instance. And it was and still is the
opinion shared by some of my coworkers.

If we could improve this aspect, I would be so happy.

--
Mathieu