[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Working on 6.0 and new releases in general

Dmitry Mescheryakov dmescheryakov at mirantis.com
Mon Sep 8 17:10:32 UTC 2014

Hello Fuelers,

Right now we have the following policy in place: the branches for a
release are opened only after its 'parent' release have reached hard
code freeze (HCF). Say, 5.1 release is parent releases for 5.1.1 and
6.0.

And that is the problem: if parent release is delayed, we can't
properly start development of a child release because we don't have
branches to commit. That is current issue with 6.0: we already started
to work on pushing Juno in to 6.0, but if we are to make changes to
our deployment code we have nowhere to store them.

IMHO the issue could easily be resolved by creation of pre-release
branches, which are merged together with parent branches once the
parent reaches HCF. Say, we use branch 'pre-6.0' for initial
development of 6.0. Once 5.1 reaches HCF, we merge pre-6.0 into master
and continue development here. After that pre-6.0 is abandoned.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Dmitry