[openstack-dev] Kilo Cycle Goals Exercise

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 15:36:21 UTC 2014

Comments in line (added my thoughts on a couple of the targets Sean
outlined).

On Thursday, September 4, 2014, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> Here is my top 5 list:
>
> 1. Functional Testing in Integrated projects
>
> The justification for this is here -
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-July/041057.html.
> We
> need projects to take more ownership of their functional testing so that
> by the time we get to integration testing we're not exposing really
> fundamental bugs like being unable to handle 2 requests at the same time.
>
> For Kilo: I think we can and should be able to make progress on this on
> all integrated projects, as well as the python clients (which are
> basically untested.... and often very broken).

Big +1 from me on this.

> 2. Consistency in southbound interfaces (Logging first)
>
> Logging and notifications are south bound interfaces from OpenStack
> providing information to people, or machines, about what is going on.
> There is also a 3rd proposed south bound with osprofiler.
>
> For Kilo: I think it's reasonable to complete the logging standards and
> implement them. I expect notifications (which haven't quite kicked off)
> are going to take 2 cycles.
>
> I'd honestly *really* love to see a unification path for all the the
> southbound parts, logging, osprofiler, notifications, because there is
> quite a bit of overlap in the instrumentation/annotation inside the main
> code for all of these.

I agree here as well.  we should prioritize logging and use that success as
the template for the other southbound parts. If we get profiler,
notifications, etc it is a win, but hitting logging hard and getting it
right is a huge step in the right direction.

> 3. API micro version path forward
>
> We have Cinder v2, Glance v2, Keystone v3. We've had them for a long
> time. When we started Juno cycle Nova used *none* of them. And with good
> reason, as the path forward was actually pretty bumpy. Nova has been
> trying to create a v3 for 3 cycles, and that effort collapsed under it's
> own weight. I think major API revisions in OpenStack are not actually
> possible any more, as there is too much intertia on existing interfaces.
>
> How to sanely and gradually evolve the OpenStack API is tremendously
> important, especially as a bunch of new projects are popping up that
> implement parts of it. We have the beginnings of a plan here in Nova,
> which now just needs a bunch of heavy lifting.
>
> For Kilo: A working microversion stack in at least one OpenStack
> service. Nova is probably closest, though Mark McClain wants to also
> take a spin on this in Neutron. I think if we could come up with a model
> that worked in both of those projects, we'd pick up some steam in making
> this long term approach across all of OpenStack.
>
> I like the concept but I absolutely want a definition on what micro
versioning should look like. That way we don't end up with 10 different
implementations of micro versioning. I am very concerned that we will see
nova do this in one way, neutron in a different way, and then other
projects taking bits and peices and ending up with something highly
inconsistent. I am unsure how to resolve this consistency issue if multiple
projects are implementing during the same cycle since retrofitting a
different implementation could break the API contract.

Generally speaking the micro versioning will be much more maintainable than
the current major API version methods.

> 4. Post merge testing
>
> As explained here -
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-July/041057.html
> we could probably get a lot more bang for our buck if we had a smaller #
> of integration configurations in the pre merge gate, and a much more
> expansive set of post merge jobs.
>
> For Kilo: I think this could be implemented, it probably needs more
> hands than it has right now.
>
> 5. Consistent OpenStack python SDK / clients
>
> I think the client projects being inside the server programs has not
> served us well, especially as the # of servers has expanded. We as a
> project need to figure out how to get the SDK / unified client effort
> moving forward faster.
>
> For Kilo: I'm not sure how close to "done" we could take this, but this
> needs to become a larger overall push for the project as a whole, as I
> think our use exposed interface here is inhibiting adoption.
>
>         -Sean
>
> --
> Sean Dague
> http://dague.net