[openstack-dev] [nova] Averting the Nova crisis by splitting out virt drivers

Nathanael Burton nathanael.i.burton at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 02:09:05 UTC 2014

Daniel,

Thanks for the well thought out and thorough proposal to help Nova.

As an OpenStack operator/developer since Cactus time, it has definitely
gotten harder and harder to get fixes in Nova for small bugs that we find
running at scale with production systems. This forces us to maintain more
and more custom patches in-house (or for longer periods of time).  The huge
amount of time necessary to shepherd patches through review discourages
additional devs from contributing patches because of the amount of time
investment required.

I believe whatever we can do to improve the ability to fix technical debt
within Nova and both keep and grow the non-core contributors of Nova would
be greatly beneficial.

Thanks!

Nate