[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Comments on the concerns arose during the TC meeting

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Fri Sep 5 19:36:51 UTC 2014

If I take a recent case we had, we’re looking for ways to simplify backup for our users. They should not have to write crons to do snapshots but leave that to a service.

Raksha seems promising… a wiki page on openstack.org, code in github etc.

How can the average deployer know whether a stackforge is

a.      An early prototype which has completed (such as some of the early LBaaS packages)

b.      A project which has lost its initial steam and further investment is not foreseen

c.      A reliable project where there has not been a significant need to change recently but is a good long term bet

The end result is that deployers hold back waiting for an indication that this is more than a prototype in whatever form that would take. This means a missed opportunity as if something is interesting to many deployers, that could create the community needed to keep a project going.

The statement of “this is good and mature, even if it's not in the inner circle" is exactly what is needed. When I offer something to my end-users, there is an implied promise of this (and a corresponding credibility issue if that is not met).

Tim