[openstack-dev] [Nova] Feature Freeze Exception process for Juno

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Fri Sep 5 14:21:25 UTC 2014

On 2 September 2014 20:23, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Nikola Đipanov <ndipanov at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 09/02/2014 08:16 PM, Michael Still wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> We're soon to hit feature freeze, as discussed in Thierry's recent
>>> email. I'd like to outline the process for requesting a freeze
>>> exception:
>>>
>>>     * your code must already be up for review
>>>     * your blueprint must have an approved spec
>>>     * you need three (3) sponsoring cores for an exception to be granted
>>
>> Can core reviewers who have features up for review have this number
>> lowered to two (2) sponsoring cores, as they in reality then need four
>> (4) cores (since they themselves are one (1) core but cannot really
>> vote) making it an order of magnitude more difficult for them to hit
>> this checkbox?
>
> That's a lot of numbers in that there paragraph.
>
> Let me re-phrase your question... Can a core sponsor an exception they
> themselves propose? I don't have a problem with someone doing that,
> but you need to remember that does reduce the number of people who
> have agreed to review the code for that exception.

Sorry, late to the party here. But this feels unfair to non-core contributors.

The idea was to have three people who could +2 the patch, and in the
past having only two people seemed to insufficient.

Having said that, if something has already been approved, it seems
fine to reduce the number of core reviews required, since its more of
a (mostly) trivial rebase check job, that could be done by a single
core (including the submitter of the patch).

Anyways, in some ways, that ship has sailed.

John