[openstack-dev] how to provide tests environments for python things that require C extensions

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Sep 5 13:32:26 UTC 2014

While reviewing this zookeeper service group fix in Nova -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/102639/ it was exposed that the
zookeeper tests aren't running in infra.

The crux of the issue is that zookeeper python modules are C extensions.
So you have to either install from packages (which we don't do in unit
tests) or install from pip, which means forcing zookeeper dev packages
locally. Realistically this is the same issue we end up with for mysql
and pg, but given their wider usage we just forced that pain on developers.

But it seems like a bad stand off between testing upstream and testing
normal path locally.

Big picture it would be nice to not require a ton of dev libraries
locally for optional components, but still test them upstream. So that
in the base case I'm not running zookeeper locally, but if it fails
upstream because I broke something in zookeeper, it's easy enough to
spin up that dev env that has it.

Which feels like we need some decoupling on our requirements vs. tox
targets to get there. CC to Monty and Clark as our super awesome tox
hackers to help figure out if there is a path forward here that makes sense.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net