[openstack-dev] [nova] Averting the Nova crisis by splitting out virt drivers

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Fri Sep 5 12:01:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> I venture to suggest that the reason we care so much about those kind
> of things is precisely because of our policy of pulling them in the
> tree. Having them in tree means their quality (or not) reflects directly
> on the project as a whole. Separate them from Nova as a whole and give
> them control of their own desinty and they can deal with the consequences
> of their actions and people can judge the results for themselves.

Apart from any of the other issues present in this thread (and not
commenting on them in this message), I think this paragraph (above)
represents an unfortunately narrow view about how perceptions of the
quality of OpenStack work. People who are invested in using OpenStack in
some fashion and are not in the development priesthood see OpenStack.
They don't see individual teams making virt drivers.

It may be (I don't know) that having more granularity in projects will
allow different teams to engage at different rates and thus get stuff
done, but I do not think it will do much with regard to external
perceptions of quality. That's going to take a much different kind of
work and attention.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent