[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Review metrics - what do we want to measure?

Sullivan, Jon Paul JonPaul.Sullivan at hp.com
Fri Sep 5 11:47:58 UTC 2014

+1 to auto-abandon.

Taking an excerpt from Dereks mail:

> A patch got negative feedback and we're automating the process
> to prompt the submitter to deal with it. It may be more friendly if it
> was a 2 step process
>   1. (after a few days if inactivity) Add a comment saying you got
> negative feedback with suggestions of how to proceed and information
> that the review will be autoabandoned if nothing is done in X number of
> days.
>   2. Auto abandon patch, with as much information as possible on how to
> reopen if needed.

This sounds like the best solution.  A 1 week warning and a 2 week abandoning.

It is about as welcoming as this sort of thing could be for a new committer, whilst also avoiding an ever-growing backlog of changes that will never see attention because the submitter has moved on to other things.

There is also the benefit of prompting submitters into action when things get auto-abandoned, rather than them having sitting at priority #2 or #3 forever.

I was never particularly upset over the auto-abandon, just click a single button in the ui and get on with it.