[openstack-dev] [Octavia] Question about where to render haproxy configurations

Doug Wiegley dougw at a10networks.com
Fri Sep 5 05:25:59 UTC 2014

Hi all,

As the resident non-octavia-VM person, here are my two pennies.

"All problems in computer science can be solved by another level of indirection”

That’s all the driver layer is.

> 1.       We will only support one driver per controller, e.g. if you upgrade a driver you deploy a new controller with the new driver and either make him take over existing VMs (minor change) or spin  up new ones (major change) but keep the “old” controller in place until it doesn’t serve any VMs any longer

Err, what?

> 3.       I am afraid that half baked drivers will break the controller and I feel it’s easier to shoot VMs with half baked renderers  than the controllers.

You think the controller can’t just try: wrap the driver calls?  Further, why are we designing assuming that fundamental components will be so awful so that they never deserved to exist?

> 4.       The main advantage by using an Octavia format to talk to VMs is that we can mix and match VMs with different properties (e.g. nginx, haproxy) on the same controller because the implementation detail (which file to render) is hidden

This advantage exists with drivers, you just negated it with point #1, and then use that as an advantage for not having drivers?

> 5.       The major difference in The API between Stephen and me would be that I would send json files which get rendered on the VM into a haproxy file whereas he would send an haproxy file. We still need to develop an interface on the VM to report stats and health in Octavia format. It is conceivable with Stephen’s design that drivers would exist which would translate stats and health from a proprietary format into the Octavia one. I am not sure how we would get the proprietary VMs to emit the UDP health packets… In any case a lot of logic could end up in a driver – and fanning that processing out to the VMs might allow for less controllers.

That’s the driver author’s problem, and I can think of 3 ways to do the UDP heartbeat outside the VM just off the top of my head.

In the driver scheme, you can write a pass-through driver that sends json to the VM (I.e. Effectively, your proposal.)  In your proposal, with the “custom controllers”, the controller becomes the driver.  Are you telling me that you really see no commonality in the controller, to the point where it’s worth writing a new one for every backend implementation that might be used?

Even if we sent json all the way to the backend vm, I’d still want to see a driver interface in the middle, to help separate concerns over time.

Thanks,
doug

Stephen visited us today (the joy of spending some days in Seattle☺) and we discussed that  further (and sorry for using VM – not sure what won):

1.       We will only support one driver per controller, e.g. if you upgrade a driver you deploy a new controller with the new driver and either make him take over existing VMs (minor change) or spin  up new ones (major change) but keep the “old” controller in place until it doesn’t serve any VMs any longer

2.       If we render configuration files on the VM we only support one upgrade model (replacing the VM) which might simplify development as opposed to the driver model where we need to write code to push out configuration changes to all VMs for minor changes + write code to failover VMs for major changes

[...]

Overall, if I don’t like to take advantage of the minor update model the main difference between me and Stephen is in the haproxy case to ship json instead of haproxy config. I understand that the minor update capability is a make or break for Stephen though in my experience configuration changes without other updates are rare (and my experience might not be representative).

In any case there certainly is some advantage for appliances which not necessarily speak the Octavia protocol by allowing custom drivers. However, given our plan to use an Ocatvia UDP package to emit health messages from the VMs to the controller and since controller provision VMs in Nova it might be a better integration point for appliances to have custom controllers. I am just not convinced that a custom driver is sufficient for all cases –

German