[openstack-dev] [nova] Averting the Nova crisis by splitting out virt drivers

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 23:32:33 UTC 2014

On 09/04/2014 12:11 PM, Duncan Thomas wrote:
> I think that having a shared review team across all of the drivers
> has definite benefits in terms of coherency and consistency - it is
> very easy for experts on one technology to become tunnel-visioned on
> some points and miss the wider, cross project picture. A common
> drivers team is likely to have a broad enough range of opinions to
> keep things healthy, compared to one repo (and team) per driver, and
> also they are able to speak collectively to teh core nova team, which
> helps set priorities there when they need to be influenced on behalf
> of the drivers team.

In theory, the above sounds good. In practice, it doesn't happen. The
code in the virt drivers is horribly inconsistent, duplicative and yet
slightly and pointlessly different, and uses paradigms that make sense
for the one platform but don't necessarily make sense for another platform.

The testing/CI benefits that Dan highlighted -- in terms of patches to
non-related virt drivers not interfering with the stability and progress
of a patch to another virt driver -- is the #1 critical benefit to Dan's
proposal, and doing a single virt drivers core team and repo totally
throws that benefit away.

Best,
-jay