[openstack-dev] [Horizon][Keystone] Steps toward Kerberos and Federation

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 21:37:38 UTC 2014

While the Keystone team has made pretty good strides toward Federation
for getting a Keystone token, we do not yet have a complete story for
Horizon.  The same is true about Kerberos.  I've been working on this,
and I want to inform the people that are interested in the approach, as
well as get some feedback.

My first priority has been Kerberos.  I have a proof of concept of this
working, but the amount of hacking I had to Django-OpenStack-Auth (DOA)
made me shudder:  its fairly ugly.  A few discussions today have moved
things such that I think I can clean up the approach.

Phase 1.  DOA should be able to tell whether to use password or Kerberos
in order to get a token from Keystone based on an variable set by the
Apache web server;  mod_auth_kerb will set

         request.META['KRB5CCNAME']

only in the kerberos case.  If it gets this variable, DOA will only do
Kerberos.  If it does not, it will only do password.  There will be no
fallback from Kerberos to password;  this is enforced by mod_auth_kerb,
not something we can easily hack around in Django.

That gets us Kerberos, but not Federation. Most of the code changes are
common with what follows after:

Phase 1.5.  Add an optional field  to the password auth page that allows
a user to log in with a token instead of userid/password. This can be a
hidden field by default if we really want.  DOA now needs to be able to
validate a token.  Since Horizon only cares about the hashed version of
the tokens anyway, we only to Online lookup, not PKI token validation.
In the successful response, Keystone will to return the properly hashed
(SHA256 for example) of the PKI tokens for Horizon to cache.

Phase 2.  Use AJAX to get a token from Keystone instead of sending the
credentials to the client.  Then pass that token to Horizon in order to
login. This implies that Keystone has set up CORS support. This will
open the door for Federation.  While it will provide a different path to
Kerberos than the stage 1, I think both are valuable approaches and will
serve different use cases.  This

Phase 3.  Never send your token to Horizon.  In this world, the browser,
with full CORS support, makes AJAX calls direct to Nova, Glance, and all
other services.

Yep, this should be a cross project session for the summit.