[openstack-dev] Introducing Poppy - An Open API for CDN Provisioning

Amit Gandhi amit.gandhi at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Sep 4 18:31:08 UTC 2014

Openstack,

My name is Amit Gandhi. A few months ago (just before the Atlanta Summit)
our team started to seek partners who shared an interest in building a
vendor-neutral and open API that leverages existing CDN providers in an
open source friendly way.

Abstract:
OpenStack operators have many choices when incorporating a Content
Delivery Network (CDN) into their infrastructure -- the CDN marketplace
has both tried-and-true vendors and up-and-coming upstarts with innovative
new features.

But these vendors often have highly-customized and proprietary
provisioning APIs. This can be problematic when an operator wishes to
support multiple providers -- or swap out one vendor for another. And
these challenges spill over to developers who become forced into codifying
the CDN instructions for multiple vendors into their applications.

Poppy aims to solve these challenges. Written as a modular,
vendor-neutral API, Poppy incorporates a driver-based approach (similar to
Cinder and Manilla) that allows multiple CDN providers to integrate via a
consistent API. Application developers can write their code once, and
Poppy will handle all the requisite translations behind-the-scenes.
- See more at: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Poppy

To date, we have garnered interest from multiple CDN vendors in the
industry, such as Akamai, Fastly, and MaxCDN. We have started building
provider extensions for Fastly, MaxCDN, and Amazon CloudFront. Soon we
will start on an Akamai provider extension.

Together, we have begun implementing the building blocks of the
provisioning API, named Poppy. It is available on Stackforge
(https://github.com/stackforge/poppy). We are still in the very early
stages of development on the project.

The Poppy team meets every Thursday at 2pm Eastern Time on
#openstack-meeting-alt (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/Poppy).
We also hang out on the #openstack-poppy channel on Freenode.

We are looking for collaborators from the community to join in this effort
and help guide the design and implementation of this exciting new CDN
provisioning API.

Please feel free to reach out to me or the team on IRC if you have any
questions, and/or are interested in working with us.

Thanks

Amit Gandhi
Senior Manager - Rackspace.

IRC: amitgandhinz on Freenode