[openstack-dev] [oslo] [infra] Alpha wheels for Python 3.x

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Sep 4 17:25:55 UTC 2014

On Sep 4, 2014, at 3:38 AM, Yuriy Taraday <yorik.sar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2014, at 5:27 AM, Yuriy Taraday <yorik.sar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM, Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org> wrote:
>> It has been pointed out to me that one case where it won't be so easy is
>> oslo.messaging and its use of eventlet under python2. Messaging will
>> almost certainly need python 2 and python 3 wheels to be separate. I
>> think we should continue to use universal wheels where possible and only
>> build python2 and python3 wheels in the special cases where necessary.
>>
>> We can make eventlet an optional dependency of oslo.messaging (through setuptools' extras). In fact I don't quite understand the need for eventlet as direct dependency there since we can just write code that uses threading library and it'll get monkeypatched if consumer app wants to use eventlet.
>
> There is code in the messaging library that makes calls directly into eventlet now, IIRC. It sounds like that could be changed, but that’s something to consider for a future version.
>
> Yes, I hope to see unified threading/eventlet executor there (futures-based, I guess) some day.
>
> The last time I looked at setuptools extras they were a documented but unimplemented specification. Has that changed?
>
> According to docs [1] it works in pip (and has been working in setuptools for ages), and according to bug [2], it has been working for couple years.

Wow, apparently it has been a while since I looked at it. :-)

We should look into whether it would make sense to add optional dependencies for some of our drivers. I don’t know how the distros interpret the requirements.txt files and if they can filter out optional items or if it would end up confusing their tool chain.

Doug