[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Review metrics - what do we want to measure?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Sep 4 13:54:20 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-04 11:01:55 +0100 (+0100), Derek Higgins wrote:
[...]
> How would people feel about turning [auto-abandon] back on?

A lot of reviewers (myself among them) feel auto-abandon was a
cold and emotionless way to provide feedback on a change. Especially
on high-change-volume projects where core reviewers may at times get
sucked into triaging other problems for long enough that the
auto-abandoner kills lots of legitimate changes (possibly from
new contributors who will get even more disgusted by this than the
silence itself and walk away indefinitely with the impression that
we really aren't a welcoming development community at all).

> Can it be done on a per project basis?

It can, by running your own... but again it seems far better for
core reviewers to decide if a change has potential or needs to be
abandoned--that way there's an accountable human making that
deliberate choice rather than the review team hiding behind an
automated process so that no one is to blame for hurt feelings
besides the infra operators who are enforcing this draconian measure
for you.

> To make the whole process a little friendlier we could increase
> the time frame from 1 week to 2.

<snark>How about just automatically abandon any new change as soon
as it's published, and if the contributor really feels it's
important they'll unabandon it.</snark>
--
Jeremy Stanley