[openstack-dev] [Nova] Feature Freeze Exception process for Juno

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 12:08:18 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 09:05:57AM +0000, Day, Phil wrote:

> [...]

[snip]

> Has anyone looked at the review bandwidth issue from the perspective of
> whether there has been a change in the amount of time cores now spend
> contributing vs reviewing ?

I've certainly spent more time reviewing code in the last 2 dev cycles,
not least because I need something todo while waiting for my own code
submissions to get reviewed & merged (which feels like it is taking
longer & longer). Despite the huge efforts in review we're barely
denting the flow and are having to get ever better at saying no to
proposed features to cope.

> Maybe there's an opportunity to get cores to mentor non-cores to do
> the code production, freeing up review cycles ?

As a core dev I want to feel that I'm still able to do valuable code
submission myself, while also doing the important code review work.
IOW, I don't want to end up with core team job requiring 100% of time
to be spent on review cycles, as from my POV that ends up with little
to no job satisfaction. Core needs to be able to maintain a balance
between doing review and being able to scratch the itch in their own
areas of coding interest.

Regards,
Daniel