[openstack-dev] [Nova] Feature Freeze Exception process for Juno

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Thu Sep 4 09:21:16 UTC 2014

> > One final note: the specs referenced above didn't get approved until
> > Spec Freeze, which seemed to leave me with less time to implement
> > things.  In fact, it seemed that a lot of specs didn't get approved
> > until spec freeze.  Perhaps if we had more staggered approval of
> > specs, we'd have more staggered submission of patches, and thus less of a
> sudden influx of patches in the couple weeks before feature proposal
> freeze.
>
> Yeah I think the specs were getting approved too late into the cycle, I was
> actually surprised at how far out the schedules were going in allowing things
> in and then allowing exceptions after that.
>
> Hopefully the ideas around priorities/slots/runways will help stagger some of
> this also.

I think there is a problem with the pattern that seemed to emerge in June where the J.1 period was taken up with spec review  (a lot of good reviews happened early in that period, but the approvals kind of came in a lump at the end)  meaning that the implementation work itself only seemed to really kick in during J.2 - and not surprisingly given the complexity of some of the changes ran late into J.3.

We also has previously noted didn’t do any prioritization between those specs that were approved - so it was always going to be a race to who managed to get code up for review first.

It kind of feels to me as if the ideal model would be if we were doing spec review for K now (i.e during the FF / stabilization period) so that we hit Paris with a lot of the input already registered and a clear idea of the range  of things folks want to do.    We shouldn't really have to ask for session suggestions for the summit  - they should be something that can be extracted from the proposed specs (maybe we do voting across the specs or something like that).    In that way the summit would be able to confirm the list of specs for K and the priority order.

With the current state of the review queue maybe we can’t quite hit this pattern for K, but would be worth aspiring to for I ?

Phil