[openstack-dev] [Nova] Feature Freeze Exception process for Juno

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Thu Sep 4 08:56:38 UTC 2014

On 2 September 2014 21:36, Dan Genin <daniel.genin at jhuapl.edu> wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, what is the rational behind upping the number of core
> sponsors for feature freeze exception to 3 if only two +2 are required to
> merge? In Icehouse, IIRC, two core sponsors was deemed sufficient.

We tried having 2 cores in the past, and stuff still didn't get
reviewed. Usually, as on of the sponsors had other things crop up that
took priority, or just didn't get chance to review it.

The idea of 3 being that we can loose one person, and still have
enough people to merge the code. If that doesn't work out, then we
will try something different next time. It was discussed in the
nova-meeting around spec freeze time, and at the mid-cycle a tiny bit,
unless I totally miss-remember that.

Why do this at all? Well we want cores to focus on bug reviews, post
FF. So they need to find extra time to review any of the exceptions,
hence the opt in process.

Thanks,
John