[openstack-dev] Treating notifications as a contract

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 14:26:40 UTC 2014

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014, Sandy Walsh wrote:

> Is there anything slated for the Paris summit around this?

There are plans to make plans, but that's about all I know.

> I just spent nearly a week parsing Nova notifications and the pain of
> no schema has overtaken me.

/me passes the ibuprofen

> We're chatting with IBM about CADF and getting down to specifics on
> their applicability to notifications. Once I get StackTach.v3 into
> production I'm keen to get started on revisiting the notification
> format and olso.messaging support for notifications.
>
> Perhaps a hangout for those keenly interested in doing something about this?

That seems like a good idea. I'd like to be a part of that.
Unfortunately I won't be at summit but would like to contribute what
I can before and after.

I took some notes on this a few weeks ago and extracted what seemed
to be the two main threads or ideas the were revealed by the
conversation that happened in this thread:

     * At the micro level have versioned schema for notifications such that
       one end can declare "I am sending version X of notification
       foo.bar.Y" and the other end can effectively deal.

     * At the macro level standardize a packaging or envelope of all
       notifications so that they can be consumed by very similar code.
       That is: constrain the notifications in some way so we can also
       constrain the consumer code.

     These ideas serve two different purposes: One is to ensure that
     existing notification use cases are satisfied with robustness and
     provide a contract between two endpoints. The other is to allow a
     fecund notification environment that allows and enables many
     participants.

Is that a good summary? What did I leave out or get wrong?

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent