[openstack-dev] [all] [glance] do NOT ever sort requirements.txt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 13:03:26 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 08:37:17AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> I'm not sure why people keep showing up with "sort requirements" patches
> like - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/76817/6, however, they do.
>
> All of these need to be -2ed with predjudice.
>
> requirements.txt is not a declarative interface. The order is important
> as pip processes it in the order it is. Changing the order has impacts
> on the overall integration which can cause wedges later.

Can  requirements.txt contain comment lines ?  If so, it would be
worth adding

   # The ordering of modules in this file is important
   # Do not attempt to re-sort the lines

Because 6 months hence people will have probably forgotten about
this mail, or if they're new contributors, never know it existed.

Regards,
Daniel