[openstack-dev] znc as a service (was Re: [nova] Is the BP approval process broken?)

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Sep 3 12:23:41 UTC 2014

Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On 08/29/2014 11:17 AM, John Garbutt wrote:
>> After moving to use ZNC, I find IRC works much better for me now, but
>> I am still learning really.
>
> There! this sentence has two very important points worth highlighting:
>
> 1- when people say IRC they mean IRC + a hack to overcome its limitation
> 2- IRC+znc is complex, not many people are used to it

Note that ZNC is not the only IRC proxy out there. Bip is also working
quite well.

> I never used znc, refused to install, secure and maintain yet another
> public facing service. For me IRC is: be there when it happens or read
> the logs on eavesdrop, if needed.
>
> Recently I found out that there are znc services out there that could
> make things simpler but they're not easy to join (at least the couple I
> looked at).
>
> Would it make sense to offer znc as a service within the openstack project?

We could at least document the steps required to set up a proxy. Or
propose pre-configured images/containers for individuals to run "in the
cloud". I agree with Ryan that running an IRC proxy for someone else
creates... interesting privacy issues that may just hinder adoption of
said solution.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)