[openstack-dev] [solum] Consistency of development environment

Alexander Vollschwitz alexander.vollschwitz at est.fujitsu.com
Wed Sep 3 11:32:46 UTC 2014

Hello,

I've been looking at Solum for about a couple of months now, with the
goal of eventually contributing to this project. First off, my apologies
if this is the wrong place for my question.

I'm currently getting familiar with project structure, source code, and
also trying to set up the dev env via Vagrant, following the Quick Start
Guide:

http://solum.readthedocs.org/en/latest/getting_started/

Here I need some advice. During my most recent attempt to set up the dev
env two days ago, I hit two problems: after devstack provisioned OS,
q-dhcp and q-l3 were not running. The former refused to start due to an
updated version requirement for dnsmasq (see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1347153) that was not
met, the latter did not start due to problems with openvswitch.

I resolved both issues manually in the VM, all the while thinking that I
must be doing something wrong. (Well I'm pretty sure I am.) On the other
hand, I had similar problems getting the dev env up during earlier
tries. So what is the right way to get a consistent setup of a Solum dev
env? Are the instructions from the Quick Start guide linked above not
current? Do I need to configure different branches/tags, or use
different repos all together?

Sorry again if this is the wrong place to ask!
I hope I can make useful contributions soon.

Regards,

Alex