[openstack-dev] [glance] Use Launcher/ProcessLauncher in glance

stuart.mclaren at hp.com stuart.mclaren at hp.com
Mon Sep 1 15:54:59 UTC 2014

I've been looking at the most recent patch for this (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/117988/).

I'm wondering what behaviour do folks feel is best in the following scenario?

1) an image download starts (download1)

2) send SIGHUP to glance-api

3) start another download (download2)

4) download1 completes

5) ?

I think there's a few potential options:

5a) The request for 'download2' is never accepted (in which case
the service is 'offline' on the node until all in-flight requests are completed).

5b) The request for 'download2' is killed when 'download1' completes
and the service restarts (not much point in new SIGHUP behaviour)

5c) The request for 'download2' is accepted and completes using the
existing process, but in this case the service potentially never restarts if new
requests keep coming in

5d) A 'swift reload' type operation is done where the old processes
are left alone to complete (download1 and download2 complete) but
new parent (and child) processes are spun up to handle new requests
('download3'). The disadvantage here is some extra process accounting
and potentially stray old code running on your system

(See http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/admin_guide.html#swift-orphans)

-Stuart

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 8:12 AM, Tailor, Rajesh <Rajesh.Tailor at nttdata.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have submitted the patch "Made provision for glance service to use
> Launcher" to the community gerrit.
> Pl refer: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/110012/
>
> I have also set the workflow to 'work in progress'. I will start working
> on writing unit tests for the proposed
> changes, after positive feedback for the same.
>
> Could you please give your comments on this.
>
> Could you also please suggest me whether to file a launchpad bug or a
> blueprint,  to propose these changes in the glance project ?

Submitting to github.com/openstack/glance-specs would be best. Thanks.