[openstack-dev] TC election by the numbers

Matt Joyce dev at openstack.sexy
Fri Oct 31 16:17:23 UTC 2014

On one hand, I agree a member of the TC should be a very active member
of the development community.  Something I have not been, much to my shame.

However, there are obviously some fundamental issues in how the TC has been
governing OpenStack in the past few releases.  Very serious issues in the
project have been largely ignored.  Foremost in my mind, among them, is
the lack of an upgradability path.  I remember there being large discussion
and agreement to address this at folsom, and further back.  I have seen no
meaningful effort made to address a functionality requirement that has been
requested repeatedly and emphatically since as far back as austin.

I can raise other issues that continue to plague usership, such as neutron
failing to take over for nova-network now two releases after it's planned
obsolescence.  My concern, is that the TC comprised entirely of active
developers ( most of whom are full time on the open source side of this
project ), is trapped in something of an echo chamber.  I have no real
reason to suggest this is the case, beyond the obvious failure by the
project to address concerns that have been paramount in the eyes of users
for years now.  But, the concern lingers.

I fear that the TC is beholden entirely to the voice of the development
community and largely ignorant of the concerns of others.  Certainly,
the incentives promote that.  The problem of course, is that the TC is
responsible for driving purogratives in development that reflect more
than the development communities desires.

-Matt