[openstack-dev] FreeBSD host support

Roman Bogorodskiy bogorodskiy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 11:21:57 UTC 2014

  Monty Taylor wrote:

> On 10/27/2014 06:39 AM, Michael Still wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 21, 2014, Roman Bogorodskiy <rbogorodskiy at mirantis.com>
> > wrote:

> >> rbogorodskiy at mirantis.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >>

> > [snip]

> > [snip]

> >> nova-network, so any new thing needs to support neutron.
> >>

> >> AFAIK, there's no defined migration plan yet, unless I missed that.
> >> Anyway, I don't see any blockers regarding an implementation of a driver
> >> similar to linuxbridge that'd work on FreeBSD.
> >>
> >> Also, Semihalf guys are working on OpenContail/FreeBSD and
> >> Neutron/OpenContrial support, so that's an option as well.
> >

> > I have no problem with supporting FreeBSD as a hypervisor operating system,
> > especially if there is a solid team on the FreeBSD side that will commit to
> > maintaining the changes required and adding the necessary CI (especially
> > ensuring that when it breaks it gets fixed).
>
> I believe that the CI related things that would be needed would be:
>
> - solid devstack support
> - someone willing to step up and make sure that nodepool can provide
> freebsd images like ianw recently did with centos

Semihalf guys implemented FreeBSD support devstack as well (Michał
CCed):

 https://github.com/Semihalf/openstack-devstack

I don't know if they did an attempt to push these changes back.

Creating FreeBSD images is not hard and I could do that.

Anyway, there are some points regarding the CI that are not quite clear
to me.

 - Should it be a 3rd party CI or integrated to the main CI?
 - At what point we want to start tempest/devstack testing over FreeBSD?
   I think it'll take quite some time to make these pass (maybe several
   release cycles).

> > However, I see Neutron support as a firm requirement. We've spent a large
> > amount of time getting closer and closer to deprecating nova-network.
> > Despite opening it up for limited development again, I don't think we
> > should be making the transition plan harder by introducing new features
> > that don't work with Neutron.
>
> I agree with Mikal on this.

Good. It doesn't look like a problem to me to bring the support into
Neutron over nova-network. After a brief view the level of effort for
the Neutron implementation is not much higher comparing to nova-network.

Roman Bogorodskiy